Think on Lovely Things

Tasks of the day run through my mind : feeding our 8 month old breakfast, laundry piling up, errands, bank stuff and now this COVID19 -- as if we needed anymore reason to be health conscious. Compound that by wasted time scrolling through Instagram or Facebook, I easily get caught in my mind and thoughts can spiral out of control. Tasks end up unfinished, frustration builds and here I go on the roller coaster of self again. If I don't catch myself quick enough I can do some damage with my words to others (especially my husband) for not helping me or doing something I want him to do right now.


The Bible tells us of a woman, Martha, who was "anxious and troubled" in her thoughts. It showed through her frustration that she took out on others. PraiseGod I'm not alone and there is an antidote! It starts with our thinking.

Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me." But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things,  but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.Luke 10:38‭-‬42 ESV

For frazzled and anxious thoughts we're to seek Jesus, His kingdom and righteousness then everything else will be added. (Matthew 6:33) This may not look like accomplishing everything we plan but what God has in mind. Being open to changing our thoughts and expectations is tough because it means letting some things go, maybe for a season or forever. (Martha needed to let some house chores and possibly other desires go so she could sit before Jesus and soak in His peaceful wisdom.)

This can be painful but God promises us that if we let the discipline [changing thought habits and desires] that we need train and shape us rather than make us grumpy complainers then we will reap "a peaceful fruit of righteousness". (Hebrews 12:11) We all so desperately NEED this in our lives for our own sake and everyone around us.

It can be difficult to put this into practice but thats why following Christ is a narrow way. It's a 'leaning on the everlasting arms' faith and yet it's possible! (Matthew 19:26) Faith, taking thoughts captive (2 Corinthians 10:5) and letting things go take moment by moment reliance on Jesus. (Philippians 4:13)

Take heart my sister, Jesus is with us. 

Here is a short list that can help when COVID19, fears of tomorrow, unfinished housework, unreached expectations or other things attempt to run rampant in your mind.

Ways to deal with anxious thoughts:

1. Rejoice in the Lord's goodness

2. Pray with gratitude

3. Think about true, honorable, just, lovely, commendable, praiseworthy things

4. Put these holy practices into daily living

(Adapted from Philippians 4:4-9 AMP)

Comments

  1. Lovely and true words, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello sister Frani. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post; I am also blessed and feel privieged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you as a woman of prayer interested in encouraging other in their christian faith. The blog post is very encouaging and exhortation on how to deal with anxious thoughts. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 40 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We wouldlove to have young people from your family, friends and church circle to come to MUMBAI to work with us during their vacation time. I am sure they will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you your family and friends also wishing you a blessed and a Christ centered rest of the year 2020. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Choose the Better

Mayberry: A Misplaced Hope